The Hitoshima Peace Memorial Museum, located adjacent to the world hiritage-listed A-Bomb Dome, was designed by Kenzo Tange in 1951, and opened on August 24, 1955.
In a reinforced concrete structure, 10 columns of peculiar sectional shape are arranged in two rows in an arcuate shape, and a delicate vertical louver is built on the north and south surface of the second floor to give a Japanese character.
This museum features a variety of exibits such as belongings left by the victims and photos that portray the horror of the nuclear devastation.
It is a peace memorial establishment originally launched based on the Hiroshima Peace Memorial City Construction Law, and the architectural features are well shown in the piloti shaping and the louver designs. It is the first postwar architecture that has received high international reputation and is important as a starting point for Kenzo Tange.